Slightly OT: Choosing an outbound MTA Setup

Res res at ausics.net
Wed Feb 21 22:17:16 CET 2007

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007, am.lists wrote:

> I have my inbound MTA as Postfix, coming into MailScanner. As my
> hosting organization grows, I'm trying to scale as smartly as
> possible.
>
> The before picture (even before MailScanner) was a single box running
> about 60 domains. Web, FTP, Mail (plus commercial spam/virus filtering
> tools).
>
> We suffered through enough DDOS and dictionary attacks on the mail
> server that we could justify putting a MailScanner proxy into place.
> While we're still converting domains over to that infrastructure,
> We're now looking at sorting out the mail sendout piece.

> I'd like to qo with either Qmail or Postfix on a dedicated box, this
> way we can have the resources to just pump out the mail. We do a
> considerable amount of newsletters / mail lists for our users (all
> opt-in of course!),

Ok, I'll use the largest mail-out MTA for your expample, which is clearly
the list server :)
Sendmail sends out mail on my list server, with, well the largest list has
1700 odd users, all mail is sent in typically 55 seconds.
You can expect similar figures with Qmail.

Qmail is by far the best MTA for virutual domains inbound MTA used with
vpopmail, nothing else comes within miles of it.  But outbound wouldnt
make a diference what you run if setup correctly.

--
Cheers
Res

"We can be Heroes, just for one day" - Davey (Jones) Bowie