Slightly OT: Choosing an outbound MTA Setup

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Wed Feb 21 20:50:57 CET 2007

am.lists wrote:
> I have my inbound MTA as Postfix, coming into MailScanner. As my
> hosting organization grows, I'm trying to scale as smartly as
> possible.
>
> The before picture (even before MailScanner) was a single box running
> about 60 domains. Web, FTP, Mail (plus commercial spam/virus filtering
> tools).
>
> We suffered through enough DDOS and dictionary attacks on the mail
> server that we could justify putting a MailScanner proxy into place.
> While we're still converting domains over to that infrastructure,
> We're now looking at sorting out the mail sendout piece.
>
> I'd like to qo with either Qmail or Postfix on a dedicated box, this
> way we can have the resources to just pump out the mail. We do a
> considerable amount of newsletters / mail lists for our users (all
> opt-in of course!),
>
> My proposed config would be fairly light:
> - MTA
> - Domain Keys signing ability
> - Administration (webmin, or something more than just ssh to manage it)
>
> I'd also like to use domain keys on the outbound side to further
> legitimize our messages.
>
> Postfix has "dkfilter.out" for this, but I'm wondering if anyone here
> has any suggestions.
>
> PS: I purposely didn't go on to the Postfix list and ask "Postfix or
> Qmail?" because I'm not sure I would have gotten the most unbiased
> opinion there. :-P At least here I know people have epxerience with a
> variety of configurations.

Postfix makes a good outbound server, fairly simple administer.

We looked at it here (just moving to two dedicated outbound servers now
in fact) but chose qmail. Only because we will be forcing all our users
to relay outbound traffic through us, and we will be forcing the use of
smtp-auth. We already have qmail smtp-auth in our network so setup and
maintenance are already in place.

qmail will do DK as well, we don't use it so I have no experience with it.

DAve

Veterans?