performance testing new server, results

Chris Yuzik itdept at fractalweb.com
Wed Feb 21 19:08:30 CET 2007

Hi everyone,

As I mentioned in a previous thread or two, we're almost ready to roll
out our new mail server. To stress test it, I have essentially captured
several hours worth of live queue files from the current production
server, both spam and ham. To be even more mean to the new box, I have
disabled spamassassin caching. Finally, (and I feel like a bit of a mad
scientist), I simply copied all of those queue files (about 4500) into
/var/spool/mqueue.in. Mwahahaha.

The server is chewing through them in batches of 30, with the
recommended of 5 children per CPU (we have dual 3 GHz Xeons in this box)
there are 10 children. With all the features turned on, including
fuzzyocr (cranked up), bayes and clamav, but spamassassin caching off,
it seems to be averaging about 140 seconds per batch of 30. Server load
is averaging 2.56 over last 15 minutes. So in past 20 minutes, it's
handled about 2500 messages.

Does this performance seem about right? Or should it be significantly
better?

Thanks,
Chris