LookOUT 2007

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 22:09:46 CET 2007

On 20/02/07, Kevin Miller <Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us> wrote:
> Glenn Steen wrote:
> > On 19/02/07, Gerard Seibert <gerard at seibercom.net> wrote:
> >> On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 23:43:20 +0100
> >> "Glenn Steen" <glenn.steen at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> [ snip ]

> >> Honestly, I thought that you were being sarcastic. If you really want
> >> me do, I will be glad to. I'll send it off-list to you.
> >>
> > Me sarcastic? Naaah:-).
> > Yes, I really did want to know what you meant by Googlers. The
> > reference is a tad baffling to me, probably because of cultural
> > differences ... So please do.
>
> I expect he's referring to people who use google - google news usually
> catches flack from the net-cops on some newsgroups I follow, generally
> for it's default of top posting.  Don't know what gmail defaults to, but
> maybe it does the same?
Haven't used Google news much (at all:-), so that was news to me... Thanks Kev.
Might be what he's refering to.

Now, about Google Mail, this web-MUA is actually quite sane when it
comes to replies, it'll prefix and line-wrap in a rather sane
manner... It'll still put the cursor up top, but since I try to
consequently do inline replies (with or without trimming, as
necessary), that really doesn't "force" me much:-). And since you can
set it to always use plain text, and it has a very sane threading (one
of trhe best I've seen) it is a perfect fit for using with lists
(where any concerns about personal integrity is beside the point
anyway:-).
One can hate Google mail for a lot of reasons, but not the UI;-).

> On the other hand, maybe he's referring to disreputable old men in grimy
> trench coats that hang out in parks across from schoolyards.  (Think
> Aqualung here.)
:-)
> Regardless, both it and grok probably fall in the slang department -
> your average person on the street won't catch the reference.  It's still
> geek speak...
Us geeks? No way, I'm way to cool to be a geek... Not:)

Cheers
--
-- Glenn