OT: SMTP authentication problem - update

Chris Yuzik itdept at fractalweb.com
Tue Feb 20 13:46:18 CET 2007

Hi everyone,

After much testing and troubleshooting, I have found that the problem
I've been having with the new server not being able to authenticate SMTP
users has much to do with the format of the username.

For example:

This doesn't work (generates multiple errors in /var/log/messages, and
elsewhere):

    user at domain1.com

But, this works:

    user#domain1.com

The problem is that we need the full email address with the '@' for
backwards compatibility with the server that this new one will replace.

Is this a sendmail thing? A cyrus thing? Something else? And, is there a
work-around?

Thanks,
Chris