LookOUT 2007

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Feb 19 19:33:40 CET 2007

Rick Chadderdon spake the following on 2/16/2007 2:54 PM:
> Gerard Seibert wrote:
>
>> Prior to roughly 2000, AOL and it's ilk of idiots were confined to their
>> own hell. Unfortunately, they have now evolved into Googlers. With their
>> totally unprofessional posting methods, not to mention their glaring
>> inability to display even rudimental spelling and sentence structure,
>> they have proceeded to pollute discussion boards ad-infanitum.
>>

> Well...  Yes.  I remember well the massive influx of AOL (and to a
> lesser degree Prodigy/Genie) idiots, although I recall it happening
> sometime 'round 1995.  Suddenly, newsgroups were inundated by people who
> wrote poorly, couldn't spell - could barely frame a thought.
> Frequently, they popped into places just to announce that anyone taking
> about <insert topic here> was <stupid, sick, crazy, etc.>, even though
> they themselves clearly didn't belong there.  The Internet went from a
> fairly elite group of people to the lowest common denominator
> practically overnight.  This is not to say that there haven't been some
> good things to come out of the explosion of popularity that the Internet
> experienced back then, but the positive aspects of growth do not, in my
> opinion, include any benefit to discussion groups.  More <> Better.
>
>> This, by the way, is not referring to you. Your posting's reflect an
>> obviously intelligent individual with a defined posting style. Rather, I
>> am referring to posters who are truly 'clueless'.
>>

> Ah...  Thank you.  It felt as though you were one of those unreasonable
> people who didn't accept a "defined posting style" unless it was top
> posting.  I apologize if I misread you, but you were rather adamant.  :)
>
> Rick
What has done the most to damage communication is the inane use of
contractions in cell-phone sms messaging, and those users moving that to
regular use everywhere. Is it so hard to send messages WITH the vowels intact?

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and