SMTP authentication not working

Chris Yuzik itdept at fractalweb.com
Mon Feb 19 14:53:44 CET 2007

Brett Moss wrote:
> Hello,
> On my CentOS 4.4 machines I use saslpasswd2 to create
> users.  Your maillog seems to indicate it is looking
> for something in /etc/sasldb2.  What do you get from
> the command sasldblistusers2?
> Perhaps you need to recreate the userlist using
> saslpasswd2 if you did not use that the first go
> 'round.

Brett,

Here's what I get:

# sasldblistusers2
listusers failed

I don't understand why it's even looking for /etc/sasldb2 when my config
only says to use "shadow".

That said, I used "saslpasswd2 -c -u domain test at domain1.com" and added
the user's password, then sent a message to my gmail account and it
worked. "Yay" and "Rats" at the same time; since I'm going to have
hundreds of users on this box, there's no way I can manage (manually)
keeping this database in sync with /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.

How do I get this system to use the /etc/shadow file to check for
passwords instead of /etc/sasldb2?

Thanks,
Chris