SMTP authentication not working

Brett Moss bamcomp at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 19 07:12:34 CET 2007

--- Chris Yuzik <itdept at fractalweb.com> wrote:

> Mike Kercher wrote:
> > Here's the relevant section from my sendmail.mc:
> >
> > dnl #
> > TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`EXTERNAL DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
> LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
> > define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `EXTERNAL GSSAPI
> DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN
> > PLAIN SASL')dnl
> >
> > dnl # The following causes sendmail to
> additionally listen to port 587
> > for
> > dnl # mail from MUAs that authenticate. Roaming
> users who can't reach
> > their
> > dnl # preferred sendmail daemon due to port 25
> being blocked or
> > redirected find
> > dnl # this useful.
> > dnl #
> > DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=submission, Name=MSA,
> M=Ea')dnl
> >
> > Then:
> >
> > [root at mail mail]# cat /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd
> > # Directory in which to place saslauthd's
> listening socket, pid file,
> > and so
> > # on.  This directory must already exist.
> > SOCKETDIR=/var/run/saslauthd
> >
> > # Mechanism to use when checking passwords.  Run
> "saslauthd -v" to get a
> > list
> > # of which mechanism your installation was
> compiled to use.
> > MECH=pam
> >
> > # Additional flags to pass to saslauthd on the
> command line.  See
> > saslauthd(8)
> > # for the list of accepted flags.
> > FLAGS=
> >
> > That's all I do to get saslauthd running.
> >
> > Mike
> >

> Mike,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me. I have changed the
> sections of my
> sendmail.mc file to be the same as yours, and
> rebuilt sendmail.cf, and
> restarted MailScanner. Still doesn't work.
>
> I also tried changing my /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd
> file to have
> "MECH=pam" instead of "MECH=shadow" and restarted
> saslauthd, but still
> same problem.
>
> I've tried running tcpflow and checking further to
> see what's going on,
> and Thunderbird actually tries "AUTH CRAM-MD5" then
> "AUTH PLAIN" then
> "AUTH LOGIN" but each time gets "535 5.7.0
> authentication failed". I've
> then taken the base64 strings and decoded them to
> see if the login/pass
> is the same (it is), but still not working.
>
> What else could it possibly be?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Hello,
On my CentOS 4.4 machines I use saslpasswd2 to create
users.  Your maillog seems to indicate it is looking
for something in /etc/sasldb2.  What do you get from
the command sasldblistusers2?
Perhaps you need to recreate the userlist using
saslpasswd2 if you did not use that the first go
'round.

hth,
Brett