problems with 0.90 clamav update?

Raymond Dijkxhoorn raymond at prolocation.net
Sat Feb 17 15:56:07 CET 2007

Hi!

>>> I just tried clamav 0.90 with MS 4.58.9, using clamav instead of
>>> clamavmodule.  While MailScanner worked fine, the update_virus_scanners
>>> script didn't update the cvd files.  I checked my virus.scanners.conf
>>> file (ok), hunted around, nothing obvious.  Anybody else seen this?

>> The update mechanism is changed, doesnt surprise me really i must say.

> In what way?  freshclam is still there.  My /etc/clamav/freshclam.conf
> file didn't get overwritten by the install of 0.90, so I found the
> 0.90 version in the source code and diffed the two versions.  No huge
> changes.  I put the suitably fixed 0.90 version of freshclam.conf in
> place and tried things again -- still no update.   Hmmm.  Back to 0.88.7
> for me.

Check for 'scripted updates', the procedure is slightly different to
increase traffic on the clam mirrors...

http://www.clamav.net/binary.html

'One of the most important changes is the availability of scripted
updates. Instead of transferring the whole cvd file at each update, only
the differences between the latest cvds and the previous versions will be
transferred.

In case the local copy of the latest cvd is corrupted or the scripted
update fails for some reason, freshclam will fallback to the old method.
Similarly to cvd files, scripted updates are compressed and digitally
signed and are already being distributed. They will dramatically reduce
traffic on our mirrors and will allow us to release even more updates in
the future.'

Bye,
Raymond.