cheap hardware - new mailscanner box

Ken A ka at pacific.net
Fri Feb 16 20:59:11 CET 2007

Depends on how you define cheap, but I wanted to sing the praises of our
latest MailScanner box. It's nice when you can replace three 2U 2650s
with a 1U 1950! - no I don't work for dell :-) These dual core
processors are nice. Below are my not-so-organized notes from the
install fwiw.

Ken A.
Pacific.Net

new mailscanner box - (in inexact order)
install a redhat clone (leaving the disk details out of this!)
install sendmail, sendmail-cf, sendmail-devel, caching nameserver
disable unwanted services
setup iptables
set selinux to disabled
remove utf-8 from i18n
setup /etc/aliases
yum update
setup ssh keys for access from admin servers for distribution of shared
config files
setup named.conf with zones for locally mirrored rbls
setup milters (dnsrbl,null,link,regex,whatever)
setup FuzzyOcr and all it's needed bits.. ugh.
http://fuzzyocr.own-hero.net/wiki/Downloads
	http://fuzzyocr.own-hero.net/wiki/Installation-3.5.x
	yum install  giflib-devel
	yum install giflib-utils
	yum install libtiff-devel
	yum install svgalib-devel
	yum install libX11-devel
	svn checkout https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/netpbm/advanced netpbm
	ftp://ftp.uu.net/graphics/jpeg (yum install libjpeg-devel)
	ftp://quest.jpl.nasa.gov/pub/zlib (yum install zlib-devel)
	http://libpng.sourceforge.net (yum install libpng-devel)
	http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/jocr/gocr-0.43.tar.gz
		./configure --with-netpbm=/usr/local/src/netpbm
	http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/ocrad/ocrad-0.16.tar.bz2
		./configure
	http://www.lcdf.org/gifsicle/gifsicle-1.46.tar.gz
		./configure
	setup cpan: install...
		String::Approx
		Time::HiRes
		MLDBM::Sync
		LWP::Simple
		( + whatever else for local use )

setup mailscanner (mailscanner.info)
setup fstab with mailscanner incoming in tempfs
setup sa + clamav (use easy install package from mailscanner.info)
	run sa-update-D
	install rules_du_jour script
setup sendmail_in.cf with different .mc file for incoming sendmail for
split recipients
	QUEUE_GROUP(`mqueue', `P=/var/spool/mqueue.in, F=f, r=1, R=8, I=2m')dnl
	Squeuegroup R$* @ $* $# mqueue R$* $# mqueue

setup cron jobs for various checks and cleanup jobs (re-mqueue,
quarantine, etc)

copy configs & misc scripts over from other mailscanner box
	/usr/local/[whatever] - scripts for release from quarantine, graphing, etc.
	/etc/mail - sendmail & milter configs
	/etc/mail/spamassassin - local rules
	/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/CustomFunctions/* - local custom functions
	/etc/init.d/MailScanner
	/etc/init.d/[milter start/stop scripts]