LookOUT 2007

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Fri Feb 16 18:43:27 CET 2007

On Friday February 16, 2007 at 11:18:08 (AM) James R. Stevens wrote:

> When a new product comes out we always approach it with patience
> knowing there will be some 'growing pains' to get used to a new GUI or
> moved/new features etc..
>
> My boss HAD an Audi A8 sedan. It had all the bells and whistles one
> could imagine. So many every other week it was in the shop because a
> different bell or whistle > >  was broken or causing issues. Everyone
> always admired the look of the vehicle and complimented its style and
> look. He was quick to respond that looks are not everything and rarely
> worth the price of admission. When asked about the guts of the car he
> always told the same story.
>
> When he wants to use the GPS maps he has to agree to a disclaimer turn
> a few 'mode' buttons activate the LCD turn of this etc.. and so forth.
> When he wants to listen to the radio he has to click or push 10
> different buttons just to do it. When he want to use a Bluetooth device
> he has to jump through hoops every time.
> Why do I have to go through 10 steps every time I want to listen to the radio, he asks.
>
> Office 2007 in this way, has made each task more convoluted and
> tedious to accomplish. Please save yourselves and stay far away from it.
>THERE IS NO EASY BUTTON!!

Please don't top post. If you don't know what that means, Google for it.
Also, please try and wrap you lines at some at some reasonably setting;
72 would be a nice number.

Obviously you have never heard of 'macros' or have even the faintest
concept of configuring a toolbar or customizing a group. Yes, some of
these tasks do require knowledge, but so does setting up BIND. Does the
fact that a task has a learning curve mean that it should be ignored? I
seriously doubt it. Now if you want something any idiot can handle, try
PICO. I would suggest 'vi' but that has a learning curve also, obviously
something you are not interested in.

--
Gerard

    "It is not the OS's job to stop you from shooting your foot. If you so
    choose to do so, then it is OS's job to deliver Mr. Bullet to Mr Foot in
    the most efficient way it knows."