OT: Re: Recent issue with SORBS

Aaron K. Moore amoore at dekalbmemorial.com
Fri Feb 16 16:43:41 CET 2007

am.lists wrote:
> Hi Lew
>
> On 2/15/07, Lew Wolfgang <wolfgang at sweet-haven.com> wrote:
>> Trouble is, your disabling SORBS will do nothing unless
>> all the smtp servers you send to also drop them.  Bottom
>> line is unless you figure out how to get off their
>> list or change your IP, you're going to loose outgoing
>> mail.

Our IP accidentally blacklisted several subnets of static addresses
assigned to their business clients a year or so ago while updating their
dynamic addresses.  Once it was pointed out to them what they had done,
it took about 24 hours to get those blocks delisted.

I've had a lot of problems with SORBS blacklisting mail servers of the
cable provider here.  They've outsourced their e-mail operations to
AT&T.  I only block at the MTA with SORBS' DUL and NOMAIL lists.

I use the other SORBS black lists to extended the greylisting interval.
That way if it's an "accidental" black listing we should eventually
accept the message.  I also build my own rbl by analyzing the mailwatch
log for persistent spam sources.  So should some spam get through the
greylisting, it will just get added to my own blacklist.

--
Aaron Kent Moore
Information Technology Services
E-mail:  amoore at dekalbmemorial.com