Diskspace on redhat ent 3

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Feb 13 21:31:00 CET 2007

Peter Nitschke spake the following on 2/13/2007 11:38 AM:
> Is it still valid to even have a lot of seperate partitions these days?
>
> If the hard drive dies you are usually pretty well stuffed no matter how
> many partitions you have.
>
> Mostly our mail servers are single purpose machines, so I just have a 1Gb
> swap partition and give the rest to /.  No problems with partitions running
> out of space.
>
> Or is this still Unix/Linux heresy?
>
> Peter
It is still handy for process separation, I still set up with separate /home
/var /usr and sometimes /opt. And I still make the first partition a small
/boot (100Megs or so) just because I have seen bootloader problems in the past.
I don't think there is any real heresy in linux. It is your system, do what
you feel best with it. That is why I like the choice with linux. You can have
a large root partition, or make every partition on a separate filesystem. Or
in LVM like the current default installers do. Whatever floats your boat!
Another thing you can do with separate partitions is mount /usr read only and
also do a bind mount and mount the same partition as rw in another place. Not
that you would need to, but it is all about the choice!

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and