reject (bounce) message

Sylvain Phaneuf Sylvain.Phaneuf at imsu.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 13 16:09:17 CET 2007

Hi everyone,

I know this isn't the most popular feature of MailScanner, but if a
brave soul can help, I would be very grateful.

I am playing with the Rejection report and I would need help
customising it (/etc/MailScanner/reports/en/rejection.report.txt).

The problem I have is that the rejection message is sent "From: $to "
which would work normally but our ISP forwards the messages to us not to
the aliases our users are know under but to their username. For example
firstname.lastname at department.domain is forwarded to us as
username at server.domain. The rejection report that MailScanner
produces will  come from username at server.domain which the sender will
never be able to reconcile with the address they originally sent to,
i.e. firstname.lastname at department.domain . How can I get the correct
information in the rejection.report.txt file? How do I get the real RCPT
TO in  the report? Or how can I include the whole incoming message in
the report (that sounds a very bad idea..., forget I said that).

Anyone who can help out there?

And before somebody asks... I want to use that feature for very
specific cases, nothing to do with bouncing spam...

Thanks in advance,

Sylvain

MailScanner: 4.55.10
MTA:  sendmail 8.13.6
MailWatch: 1.0.3

Sylvain Phaneuf --- Systems Manager | phone : +44 (0)1865 221323
Information Management Services Unit - Medical Sciences Division
Oxford University | email : sylvain.phaneuf at imsu.ox.ac.uk
Room 3A25B John Radcliffe Hospital | fax : +44 (0) 1865 221322
Oxford, OX3 9DU,   UK