Mqueue.in huge

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 15:19:50 CET 2007

On 12/02/07, Marcello Anderlini <m.anderlini at database.it> wrote:
> Hello to all,
> I'm still unable to resolve by myself this problem and my mqueue.in is stil
> huge.
> I've just tried to use spamassassin -D -t and I get this :
> [31512] dbg: uridnsbl: query for ilbanner.com took 1 seconds to look up
> (sbl.spamhaus.org.:2.246.22.217)
> [31512] dbg: uridnsbl: query for youbuy.it took 1 seconds to look up
> (sbl.spamhaus.org.:10.196.64.217)
>
> But in my MailScanner.conf I set to use CBL and in my normal log I get this
> :
> ==============
>  RBL checks: l1CDWguL030057 found in CBL
> ==============
>
> So how can I to be sure what spamlist I'm using ? Maybe spamassassin -D -t
> just use a different .conf ? How can I be sure spamassassin -D -t would use
> my current configuration ?
>
> Thanks a lot for any suggestion
>
> Best regards
Marcello,

If you've set to use CBL in Spam Lists, then _MailScanner_ will do
that lookup and _unconditionally use the result for tagging the
message as spam or not_... SpamAssassin has _nothing_ to do with this.
SpamAssassin uses its own list of BLs by default... all the advice
earlier (from Martin mostly;) is about "tuning" that list.

Now, since MailScanner is a bit ... categoric... about the BL results,
and the fact that MailScanner will do lookups _serialized_ (first
list, second list etc) make many not use MailScanner for that at all.
The reasoning is that if you trust the few lists you do in MailScanner
so much, why then use them in the MTA to reject the mails out of hand
instead.

Having said that, if one has a situation like mine where laws (yes,
laws) and to some extent policy prevent you from using BLs for
rejections at the MTA level, then keeping one (at the most two) solid
BLs (like SBL-XBL) in MS might be a good idea, and let the rest score
through SA. Then be prepared that some messages will look like
non-spam (low score) and still get tagged/quarantined as spam.

I hope you don't have ORDB in MailScanners Spam Lists anymore, since
that has gone offline (could cause the type of problem you describe).

Hope this clears any confusion.

When you did the spamassassin -D -t < /path/to/message ... did you see
any noticeable pauses? If you disable SpamAssassin altogether, does
that clear out your queues?

Cheers
--
-- Glenn