Scanning for Spam

Greg Borders gborders at jlewiscooper.com
Fri Feb 9 22:17:10 CET 2007

DAve wrote:
> am.lists wrote:
>>> I also meant to point out that your Bayes was only hitting 50% which
>>> add
>>> nothing to the score.  Start feeding these emails into the Bayes
>>> learning system, and it will start to match these emails.
>>
>> So, I guess that's the question.
>>
>> Is there a way to make Bayes learn this when it's not currently
>> tagged as spam?
>
> There are many many ways to make that happen depending on your
> network, your policies, your users. We simply keep messages that we
> feel are spam and once a day I ftp the mailbox up to my MS servers and
> run sa-learn on them.
>
> I can run through our Postmaster mailboxes and gleen 50 a day easily
> (we have no spam scanning on postmaster or abuse). A simplistic
> approach, but so far seems to be working. We may have to get serious
> about it farther down the road.
>
> DAve
>

>> PS: I did get the additional SARE rules added to my rdj config. I hope
>> the admins over there don't ban me since I've downloaded some files
>> than 1x/day today. :-/
>>
>> Angelo

Here I made a "spam" mail box, and created SYM links to it for users
within their mail folders. As folks find spam that leak thru, they drag
it over the "universal" spam box, and then I feed them via a daily cron
job to sa-learn script which reads them, and then deletes them.

Also handy is the Mailwatch interface, where I can run searches/reports,
and then checkbox the bad ones for instant SA learning.  Works great!

Greg.

--
This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential
and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the

believed to be clean.