Suggestion to speed MailScanner up

Carlos Pastorino carlos.pastorino at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 23:44:23 CET 2007

Hi everyone,

I receive this list in Digest mode, so I will answer everyone in one go.

Martin Hepworth wrote:
> Not a good idea. Even if it's spam you need to check if there's a
> virus in there so you don't release malware by accident.

Martin, I agree with you. If I choose "Spam Actions = store" or "High
Scoring Spam Actions = store", then yes, by all means, I want
MailScanner to continue on checking for viruses. But, if I choose
"Spam Actions = delete" or "High Scoring Spam Actions = delete", then
I believe that the virus scanning is a burden.

> AV checks are quite quick in comparison to Spamassassin checks..
> assuming you're doing SA which it doesn't look like you are..

Martin, actually I am using SA, but since I am setting "Check
SpamAssassin If On Spam List = no", MailScanner skips SA if the spam
has already been found on a RBL.

Steve Freegard wrote:
> Yes - check your settings for 'Keep Spam and MCP quarantine clean',
> if it is set to 'Yes', then change it to 'No' and I think you'll
> get the desired result.

Steve, the "Keep Spam and MCP quarantine clean" is already set to
"no". I left it in the default setting. So, makes no difference to set
it to yes or no as far as the desired result is concerned.

Glenn Steen wrote:
> One would think that one should be able to enhance the logic
> behind the "Keep Spam and MCP quarantine clean" setting a bit,
> so that it actually checks whether the message would be delivered
> at all, anywhere...

Glenn, I totally agree.

Rene Berber wrote
> The point was: the message is marked for deletion, is any more work
> useful? no, so can MS shortcut the processing?

Rene, you got the idea.

Best regards to all,

Carlos