Problems with some 'add-on' apps...

am.lists am.lists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 17:35:45 CET 2007

OK... Thanks for the tip to su as postfix...

I think I figured it out... I was led down the path of why it would
work for root and not for postfix.

I started looking at things such as file ownership and file mode. I
was looking at things that were updated when I ran them as root...
/etc/mail/spamassassin/FuzzyOcr.db (and associated lock files) tend to
be updated each time root successfully scans a message, but the files
were owned root:root, and mode 755. That meant the user postfix would
be able to scan against the hash table but not update it. (For what
its worth, with verbosity turned up, FuzzyOcr did not complain about
the permissions issue, it just died.)

I fixed that issue, and am now seeing Fuzzy OCR hits when testing as
user postfix.

I will let some real messages come through over the lunch hour, but I
bet this will fix my image spam... at least for today :)

Thanks to Glenn and Ian for your leadership and pointing me in the
right direction.