OT: migrate email users from FC2 to Centos?

Doc Schneider doc at maddoc.net
Sun Feb 4 05:45:25 CET 2007

Chris Yuzik wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Sorry to bother the list with this question, but I have been googling
> for at least an hour; additionally, nobody on IRC this evening seems to
> have any idea. Furthermore, the people on this list have historically
> proven to be far more knowledgeable with matters such as this than the
> general population.
>
> I'm going to need to migrate all of my users from an old Fedora Core 2
> server (about to be put out to pasture) to a Centos 4.4 server. I had
> hoped to create a script to move the users and encrypted passwords to
> the new box, but much to my chagrin, it seems that there's a difference
> with the password hash algorithm between the two boxes.
>
> I tested with a sample account and the same password appears very
> differently in the passwd files on the two systems. For example, the
> same password "asdf" appears as this:
>
> FC2 box:        $1$jGZoIM.O$uuiSTyDSdRx000EhzA.gi1
> Centos box:    $1$70559337$sp1596qcHpI06I2lH1fhI0
>
> I would really rather not have to go through the hassle and
> inconvenience creating new passwords for everyone and manually changing
> the users' email client settings. Does anyone know of a utility or
> script that can convert passwords from Fedora to Centos?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

I just did a server upgrade new MB/CPU/RAM and moved from RH 7.2 (I know
it was old) to CentOS 4.4 64 bit and just copied over the /etc/passwd
group gshadow and shadow and no problems. Of course I had to merge them
somewhat for system users but that was pretty easy. You could always
take the old files and put them in /etc but of course you would need to
keep the new ones made by CentOS and add in any uses the system needs.
This is what I did. no need to convert anything.. they're both RH based
systems. Of course, YMMV.

--
-Doc
Lincoln, NE.