OT: migrate email users from FC2 to Centos?

Chris Yuzik itdept at fractalweb.com
Sun Feb 4 05:07:15 CET 2007

Hi everyone,

Sorry to bother the list with this question, but I have been googling
for at least an hour; additionally, nobody on IRC this evening seems to
have any idea. Furthermore, the people on this list have historically
proven to be far more knowledgeable with matters such as this than the
general population.

I'm going to need to migrate all of my users from an old Fedora Core 2
server (about to be put out to pasture) to a Centos 4.4 server. I had
hoped to create a script to move the users and encrypted passwords to
the new box, but much to my chagrin, it seems that there's a difference
with the password hash algorithm between the two boxes.

I tested with a sample account and the same password appears very
differently in the passwd files on the two systems. For example, the
same password "asdf" appears as this:

FC2 box:        $1$jGZoIM.O$uuiSTyDSdRx000EhzA.gi1
Centos box:    $1$70559337$sp1596qcHpI06I2lH1fhI0

I would really rather not have to go through the hassle and
inconvenience creating new passwords for everyone and manually changing
the users' email client settings. Does anyone know of a utility or
script that can convert passwords from Fedora to Centos?

Thanks,
Chris