Need help, server running out of space!!

Denis Beauchemin Denis.Beauchemin at USherbrooke.ca
Fri Feb 2 20:20:47 CET 2007

mikea a écrit :
> On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 07:46:16AM +1030, Peter Nitschke wrote:
>
>> Have you checked your logs?

>>> i've already done that and now i have some air, but something is eating
>>> space very quick and its not the quarantine.

> I have seen some circumstances in which a large file, while consuming
> disk space, didn't show up in `ls -l` or in `du` while the process was
> running that was writing to the file. You may have to stop MailScanner
> and other tools to have a chance of seeing where the big file is. In
> the worst case, you'll have to boot to single-user mode, mount the
> disks in your fstab, and then examine them.

If you don't see a file it's because a process is still writing to it
but some other process (or even itself) has deleted the file.  If the
file has been deleted it won't show up on ls but as soon as the process
writing to the file exits (or is killed) the file space will get
released.  So a simple reboot might release that space.

Denis

--
   _
  °v°   Denis Beauchemin, analyste