Performance

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 10:13:20 CET 2007

On 02/02/07, Pete Russell <pete at enitech.com.au> wrote:

> Glenn Steen wrote:
> > On 02/02/07, Peter Russell <pete at enitech.com.au> wrote:
> >>

> > (snip)
> >> As you say, after i posted it i did some further research and found it
> >> was just a warning - thanks for the explanation.
> > :-)
> >>
> >> Well i didnt wanna say geeks - but there you go you have forced me. :)
> > Why thank you... Such high praise...:-):-).
> >

> >> I made some changes to my main.cf and then telnet in to my server from
> >> another network, i can get through helo, MAIL FROM with false info - no
> >> warnings, errors or disconnects. Any idea where i am going wrong? (i
> >> have exclude all my pre existing transport map, relay domains type
> >> config) Appreciate any tips or suggestions.
> >> Pete
> > To my tired eyes (it's almost 02.00 here) it looks ok, so it would
> > depend on the content of the file I guess... You did remember to
> > postmap it (and reload postfix after the changes to main.cf)?
> > With a little luck (all the luck I didn't have today... SSL-X logged
> > itself to death (audit f a failed message just kept repeating) and was
> > ornery about the license file while updating on new HW, Oracle was
> > just as Oracle can be, the doctor kept me waiting (well, nothing new
> > there:-) and pesky users kept interrupting about me helping them with
> > their *private* WLAN/DSL installs (as if I was going home to them and
> > doing their LAN... Well, perhaps if sufficient amounts of finer booze
> > was at the end of it:), so that I never got any time to install the
> > latest and greatest MS... Grrr.) I'll have time to look at it again in
> > the morning (today).
> >
> > Tired but kind regards
>
> OKay seem to have it working - unfortunately lots of folks have mis
> configured MTAs. Some of these people wont fix this anytime soon - is
> there way of 'whitelisting'  some hosts/domains from the helo checks and
> client and recipient checks?
>
> What do you normally do when a client or vendor gets rejected by these
> tests?

I'm not running an ISP, or a big campus or somesuch, so ... my
situation is perhaps simpler than mosts:-).
In the very few cases where I had this with _business related
communications_, and they "persisted in their folly";), I mailed their
postmaster _and_ their public contact (usually some "information
officer"...:-). Didn't take long for them to fix it.
But I see very few FPs, almost none.

If you need a "whitelist", simply detail whatever they are HELOing
with in the file with an "OK" prior to the "REJECT" lines... Not that
I'd do that:-).

--
-- Glenn