Easy-install ClamAV 0.92 and SpamAssassin 3.2.3 -- HOWTO

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Dec 24 17:27:40 GMT 2007

Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:
> Hi there --
>
> I completed the small howto, and everything appears to have installed
> successfully. I was able to restart MailScanner without any difficulty.
>
> Just for my edification, what command(s) can I run to confirm the newer
> versions appropriate upgrades have been put into place? Thanks.

:-)
> a small howto.
>
> If you have spamassassin 3.23 already installed follow these steps to install
> the new patched version:
>
> 1. Download
> http://www.mailscanner.info/files/4/install-Clam-0.92-SA-3.2.3.tar.gz
> 2. unpack the package and change to directory install-Clam-0.92-SA-3.2.3.tar.gz
> 3. change to subdirectory perl-tar
> 4. unpack Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.3.tar.gz
> 5. change to subdirectory Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.3
> 6. perl Makefile.PL
> 7. rm -f t/spamc*
> 8. rm -f t/spamd*
> 9. make
> 10. make test
> 11. make install
>
> These steps are copied from the originall install.sh and functions.sh.
>
> Merry Christmas to everybody here, especially to Jules and thank you very much
> for you effort and work in 2007.

My pleasure.
Note that the same procedure on the Mail-ClamAV-0.20.tar.gz file will
install the patched Mail::ClamAV so that you can continue to use the
"clamavmodule" if you so choose.

And a quick note of thanks is due to all the regulars here, without whom
I would have a much bigger job of supporting MailScanner and keeping
everyone on the straight and narrow! All your hard work is much
appreciated by me, and also hopefully by the "transient members" who
only pop into existence when they have a problem that needs solving,
which you all handle very swiftly, politely, accurately and succinctly too!

So Cheers to all, and I hope you all have a great Christmas and a very
merry New Year, and I wish you all have silent pagers and mobiles for
the next week or so.

Jules

- --
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng