hold folder not getting processed

Guy Story kc5goi at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 05:28:35 GMT 2007

I tried the hash suggestion in the wiki and that did not fix the
problem.  I am using Ubuntu and would have thought that this would not
have been an issue.  I found a Debian package that is 4.55.  I want to
copy of the VM I have my mail server running in first then install the
Debian package.  If that breaks anything, I can just copy over the
backup vm and press it back into service while I look for the answer.
Monday is when I will try to take this on.  I do not want to fall in a
trap with dependencies by using the source package.  I can use a copy of
the VM to test that out and see what happens from there as well.

I did triple check permissions today and I have a 770 for postfix user
and group on the hold and incoming folders.  That was a wild guess and
it failed.  I tried to use debug mode by starting MailScanner with
- --debug but that generated a compile error and refused to start.

Check_mailscanner does show active processes when I start MailScanner
from init.d.  It is like MailScanner has lost the path is should use,
and I have checked that in MailScanner.conf or there is a permissions
issue.  When MailScanner is running, the hold queue folder never clears
the folder and move clean mail to incoming.

I have checked to make sure MailScanner.conf does not have more than
once copy present on the system.  MailScanner.conf has 744 on it with
root as the owner.

My guess is one of 3 things, either the hold folder contents is not in a
valid format, MailScanner is ignoring the line that says where hold is
or the portion of MailScanner that does the scanning is not functioning
anymore.  The last one seems unlikely.

Hugo, I see your point.  For my sanity, I want to use the Debian
package.  Since this is an Ubuntu box, there should not be an issue and
any dependencies should be resolved.

Guy