OT Fedora in production (as nstallation Problem on Fedora Core 8)

Anthony Cartmell ajcartmell at fonant.com
Wed Dec 12 15:43:27 GMT 2007

>> Do you have a reference for that?
>
> - From the End-Of-Lif statement from Red Hat Linux 7.3 and 9:

I don't see where it says "don't use Fedora for production use" or
"unstable" or "bleeding edge". Of course RHEL is a little more stable, and
probably Solaris is even more stable still. But that doesn't mean Fedora
is unstable.

We're probably misunderstanding what we each mean by "stable". I mean it
as using stable versions of software, such as Apache, MySQL, sendmail, the
linux Kernel, etc. So no beta releases, few bugs. I think you take it as
meaning long-term (5 years) maintenance, so you don't have to upgrade so
often.

MailScanner has stable releases roughly every month, and is therefore much
more "cutting edge" than even Fedora, but unless you install the beta
releases I wouldn't call MailScanner "unstable" or "not for production
use". :)

> And given the lifespan of 12 to 18 months were it goes from released to
> no longer provided with updates I concur that Fedora should never been
> used for business.

I agree, if you aren't willing to upgrade your server OS roughly once per
year then Fedora's not such a good idea. If you are, like I am, then it's
a very nice and stable OS for business use.

Cheers!

Anthony
--
www.fonant.com - Quality web sites