OT Fedora in production (as nstallation Problem on Fedora Core 8)

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Wed Dec 12 06:45:05 GMT 2007

Anthony Cartmell wrote:
>> Centos is basically Red Hat Enterprise, the stable, standardised fully
>> tested production qaulity commercial grade and supported OS from Red Hat.
>
> I don't think RedHat support CentOS... ;)
>
>> Fedora is the bleeding edge, experimental, non production version.
>
> Where does it say "experimental" or "bleeding edge"? My copy of Fedora
> has only stable versions of software installed (Apache, PHP, MySQL,
> sendmail, etc).
>
>> So just to recap Fedora is Experimental and not intended for
>> production use, as defined by the people that made it, and that
>> gentleman is as you you might say "straight from the horses mouth".
>> The people that created it say its less stable and experimental *by
>> design*, that is its purpose in life.
>
> Do you have a reference for that?

- From the End-Of-Lif statement from Red Hat Linux 7.3 and 9:

- ----
We'd like to take this opportunity to remind you of the options
available to you for migrating your Red Hat Linux implementations.

Linux that provides updates and support for up to 5 years:
try Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

to new Linux and open source technology developments:
try the Fedora Project.
- ----

And given the lifespan of 12 to 18 months were it goes from released to
no longer provided with updates I concur that Fedora should never been
used for business.

Hugo.

- --