MailScanner Digest, Vol 24, Issue 14

Juan Pablo Lorier jplorier at montecarlotv.com.uy
Mon Dec 10 13:34:20 GMT 2007

Hi Steve

Thanks for the guidence. Here is the output of the command you asked me
to try.

[root at mailscanner mail]# echo "3,0
jplorier at mailcanal.no-ip.org"|sendmail -bt -d0.10
Version 8.13.8
 Compiled with: DNSMAP HESIOD HES_GETMAILHOST LDAPMAP LOG MAP_REGEX
                MATCHGECOS MILTER MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7 NAMED_BIND NETINET
NETINET6
                NETUNIX NEWDB NIS PIPELINING SASLv2 SCANF SOCKETMAP
STARTTLS
                TCPWRAPPERS USERDB USE_LDAP_INIT
    OS Defines: ADDRCONFIG_IS_BROKEN HASFCHOWN HASFCHMOD
                HASGETDTABLESIZE HASINITGROUPS HASLSTAT HASNICE
HASRANDOM
                HASRRESVPORT HASSETREGID HASSETREUID HASSETRLIMIT
HASSETSID
                HASSETVBUF HASURANDOMDEV HASSTRERROR HASUNAME
HASUNSETENV
                HASWAITPID IDENTPROTO NEEDSGETIPNODE REQUIRES_DIR_FSYNC
                USE_DOUBLE_FORK USE_SIGLONGJMP
Kernel symbols: /boot/vmlinux
     Conf file: /etc/mail/submit.cf (default for MSP)
     Conf file: /etc/mail/sendmail.cf (default for MTA)
      Pid file: /var/run/sendmail.pid (default)
Canonical name: mailscanner.mailcanal.no-ip.org
 UUCP nodename: mailscanner.mailcanal.no-ip.org
        a.k.a.: [192.168.2.XX]
     Conf file: /etc/mail/sendmail.cf (selected)
      Pid file: /var/run/sendmail.pid (selected)

============ SYSTEM IDENTITY (after readcf) ============
      (short domain name) $w = mailscanner
  (canonical domain name) $j = mailscanner. my.domain.org
         (subdomain name) $m = my.domain.org
              (node name) $k = mailscanner. my.domain.org

ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
Enter <ruleset> <address>
> canonify           input: jplorier @ my . domain . org
Canonify2          input: jplorier < @ my. domain . org >
Canonify2        returns: jplorier < @ my. domain . org . >
canonify         returns: jplorier < @ my. domain . org . >
parse              input: jplorier < @ my. domain . org . >
Parse0             input: jplorier < @ my. domain . org . >
Parse0           returns: jplorier < @ my. domain . org . >
ParseLocal         input: jplorier < @ my. domain . org . >
ParseLocal       returns: jplorier < @ my. domain . org . >
Parse1             input: jplorier < @ my. domain . org . >
Parse1           returns: $# local $: jplorier
parse            returns: $# local $: jplorier

As you can see there's no esmtp or smtp line at all, the most likely are
the last two that point to local (which you told me is wrong).
As I said earlier, I'm quite a rookie in mail stuff, so there are tones
of stuff I don't know how to hanndle. In other replays to my post they
suggest me to stop mails at the gateway for no further proccessing under
the risk of being blacklisted, so maybe I shoud choose to go this way.
If you can help me to solve this trough then I can get to connect to my
Scalix LDAP database for user resolution.
I have rechecked access and local-host-names for any problem. I have two
different ways to point to the server: One is via my DNS server with a
fake zone for testing. This server is used by the Scalix server for
resolution, so can point to the gateway localy.
The second is via a free hostname in no-ip.org domain, but as I have my
doubts it's working properly, I stopped using it until the other tests
succeed.

Thanks again for the support you all people are giving me.