Setting gateway

Richard Frovarp richard.frovarp at sendit.nodak.edu
Fri Dec 7 16:28:49 GMT 2007

Juan Pablo Lorier wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Thanks for the answer, but I've already done that. I still don's know if
> it's working because I can't get mail to enter the server to be scanned
> and send to the mail server because as there are no user accounts for
> sendmail un the mailscanner gateway, it bounces the mails with the error
> user unknown.
> As I see it, it's not clean to set every user both in the gateway and in
> the mail server, so there should be two options:
> - have sendmail not to check for user existence and just accept the mail
> and forward it to the mail server

This is bad. Your gateway will accept mail for unknown users, your mail
server will reject, then you cause back scatter.

> - have sendmail to use the same LDAP database that the mail server.

Do this as it will reject to unknown users at the right time and reduce
load. It's actually easy to do. I have a meeting at the moment, so I
can't lookup instructions right now.

Richard