MailScanner --lint doesn't check Eicar virus - OK here!

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Fri Dec 7 10:46:30 GMT 2007

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Julian Field wrote:

> I don't really want to upgrade the copy of MIME-tools I use to the
> latest, as it now requires Perl 5.8. This will royally screw many of the
> Solaris users out there who only have Perl 5.6 available.
>
> If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'm all ears...

I've not been following the detail, but I've done a quick check on the
recent history of MIME-tools.

It seems that version 5.420_01 (18 June 2007) of MIME-tools made a
significant change, documented in its "ChangeLog", saying thus:
   ... NOTE THAT THIS REQUIRES PERL 5.8!

It might be worth dropping a note to David Skoll (one of the MIME-tools
custodians these days) pointing out the impact for Solaris users.

I wonder whether or not they could relatively easily backtrack on this
decision?

Are the implications of their decision deeply embedded, and so difficult
to revert?  Or could they actually quite easily revert if necessary?

Jules: Would you like me to contact Skoll about this, citing (for
instance) your paragraph above about Solaris users?

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:  UNIX Team Leader                         Durham University     :
:                                           South Road            :
:  http://www.dur.ac.uk/t.d.lee/            Durham DH1 3LE        :