Recommended spam.lists and/or sendmail dnsbl settings?

Johnny Stork stork at openenterprise.ca
Tue Dec 4 16:17:31 GMT 2007

With the ongoing changes to various RBL's and the recent threads on
spamhaus, can someone recommend or share a good/current spam.lists file
along with a recommended "Spam List =" line? and/or sendmail.mc dnsbl
settings?

I used to have

Spam List = spamhaus-ZEN spamhaus.org spamcop.net

Also, from what I understand, adding the DNSBL to sendmail will block
mail without passing into MS, and setting/using them in MS and NOT
sendmail will score and tag offending mail.

Can someone suggest an optimal combination of sendmail dnsbl and MS
"Spam List=" settings? Should I use both? or just one based on whether I
want to block/tag SPAM?

This is what I currently have in sendmail.mc

FEATURE(`dnsbl',`sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org', `"554 Rejected " $&{client_addr}
" - see http://www.spamhaus.org/SBL/"')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `dnsbl.njabl.org', `"554 Rejected " $&{client_addr} " -
see http://dnsbl.njabl.org/method.html"')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `bl.spamcop.net',         `"554 Rejected "
$&{client_addr} " found in bl.spamcop.net"')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `chinanet.blackholes.us', `"554 Rejected "
$&{client_addr} " found in chinanet.blackholes.us"')dnl

--
*Johnny Stork*
Business & Technology Consultant
stork at openenterprise.ca