Can't block wmv files

Michael Mansour micoots at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 2 14:56:33 GMT 2007

Hi Hugo,

--- Hugo van der Kooij <hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org>
wrote:

> Michael Mansour wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm using:
> >
> > mailscanner-4.65.3-1.noarch
> >
> > and trying to block various movie files for a
> domain.
> >
> > I have done this sort of setup numerous times for
> other domains and it
> > all works fine, but for this one particular domain
> I cannot get it to
> > work. wmv's, avi's, mpg's, etc all pass through.
>
> First off. You never told us the difference with the
> other domains.

The email above was the "initial" look at this
problem, since then I have determined that it's not
domain specific but site-wide ie. I can't block ANY
files at this point.

What I did to confirm this was copy:

filename.rules.conf to filename.rules.allowall.conf

and

filetype.rules.conf to filetype.rules.allowall.conf

which guarantees all domains will have some sort of
filtering of attachments in place, but files that are
meant to be denied are still let through.

I also remove any of the 127.0.0.1 entries I had in
place for some of the rules files like
dangerous.content.scanning etc and these removals also
made no difference.

Basically, this is now a very serious problem as all
email domains we host for don't get any denied
attachments.

I find it hard to believe I'm the only one suffering
from this problem as I've been running MailScanner for
many years, I know it very well, and these filename
and filetype rules have worked for many years, and the
server environment I run (Red Hat 4 based) is not
uncommon.

I only noticed this problem when a client requested
that more blocks be put into place for his domain.

I wonder if others have tested it themselves to see if
it's still working for them?

> While it may seem irrelevant to you the exact
> samples wil propably be
> very relevant.  Can you packup the whole set of
> files and make it

I'm happy to make it available to you Hugo, I'll pack
my configs on one of the servers up for you and email
you directly.

> available? It will definitly beat the snippets you
> post in the messages
> as important information might get lost.
>
> At one time I have been staring months on some odd
> behaviour.
>
> I finaly removed a set of lines and retyped as they
> appeared and to
> problems was gone. I did a diff to a backup file and
> there was a literal
> backspace character in the config file which I never
> noticed before.

I've spent a week on this already and well over 24
hours (cumulative) trouble-shooting it, and I'm still
no closer to solving the problem.

I even downgraded tonight one of the mail servers to
4.64.3 and deny's are still ignored.

I'll email you shortly.

Michael.