Heavy increase in spam influx this week?

Pentland G. G.Pentland at soton.ac.uk
Fri Aug 31 14:32:04 IST 2007

I've seen this as well on a quite a large scale.  It would appear that one of the bots is slightly broken and is hanging around in cmd_read as you have observed.

I'm am now running with the following set...

define(`confQUEUE_LA',`15')dnl
define(`confREFUSE_LA',`10')dnl
define(`confMAX_DAEMON_CHILDREN',`500')dnl
define(`confDELIVERY_MODE',`background')dnl
define(`confMCI_CACHE_SIZE',`8')dnl
undefine(`confTO_QUEUEWARN')dnl
define(`confTO_QUEUERETURN',`8d')dnl
define(`confMIN_FREE_BLOCKS',`40000')dnl
define(`confTO_INITIAL',`2m')dnl
define(`confTO_CONNECT',`2m')dnl
define(`confTO_ICONNECT',`10s')dnl
define(`confTO_HELO',`5m')dnl
define(`confTO_MAIL',`10m')dnl
define(`confTO_RCPT',`10m')dnl
define(`confTO_DATAINIT',`5m')dnl
define(`confTO_DATABLOCK',`1h')dnl
define(`confTO_DATAFINAL',`1h')dnl
define(`confTO_RSET',`2m')dnl
define(`confTO_QUIT',`2m')dnl
define(`confTO_MISC',`2m')dnl
define(`confTO_COMMAND',`10m')dnl
define(`confTO_IDENT',`0')dnl
define(`confTO_FILEOPEN',`60s')dnl
define(`confTO_CONTROL',`2m')dnl
define(`confTO_AUTH',`10m')dnl
define(`confTO_STARTTLS',`10m')dnl

And we seem to be dealing with it nicely...

14:26:22 up 2 days,  2:22,  1 user,  load average: 3.46, 2.75, 2.33
children of current sendmail listener 178

This is on a dual xeon 3GHz, 4Gb ram.

It is almost certainly related to the rapid spread of the virus "Troj/Agent-GBX", that went round the other day.

Hope that helps,

Gary