MailScanner via Yum (CentOS)

dnsadmin 1bigthink.com dnsadmin at 1bigthink.com
Tue Aug 28 20:42:43 IST 2007

At 03:06 PM 8/28/2007, you wrote:

> > Read the install.sh script :-)
>
>Rather embarrassingly I did once I'd sent the reply to the list :-)
>
>I'd appreciate any feedback on how other people handle this - I can see
>the benefits of using the rpm's supplied with MailScanner as I would
>assume it sorts out things like minimum versions req'd, but at the same
>time I'm thinking is there a benefit to using as much as possible of
>what comes with the OS?

No. MailScanner and the SpamAssassin/ClamAV installers are updated
far more regularly than the similar components of the OS. All the
important parts of the OS will still be handled well by
RedHat/CentOS. Well, CentOS, anyway. I've been on CentOS since RedHat
went the route of support licences.

I understand your squeamishness; when I tried SuSe I found some odd
things that a lot of familiar programs broke and/or broke familiar
programs (only due to my lack of experience with the OS, I'm sure).

MailScanner goes very well with RedHat/CentOS.

Cheers,
Glenn