New Clam, Old, Mailscanner, Ancient Kernel

Culley Morrow culleym at genevawoods.com
Tue Aug 21 01:06:40 IST 2007

Howdy folks, I've got a bit of a dilemma here. I've taken over admin for an
aging Debian 3.0 server partly morphed to 4.0. By partly I mean it is still
using the default 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel. Way, way, out of date. The upshot is
we are planning to replace it in the vaguely near future once we decide what
groupware package to put in it's place.

I'll list out the software versions below and I need a bit of assistance
making them work for now. I know all I need to do is upgrade the kernel to
2.6 and it all works, but I'd like to get them functioning "As-Is" and then
do the upgrade so I have something working to fall back on. Clam AV is
currently shut off since clamd as a service was so slow.

Kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4

Mailscanner 3.27.1-1

Clam AV 0.90.1-3etch3

Spam Assassin 2.64-1

Currently we are inundated with mass spam and I need to get some AV in
place, be it Clam or another GNU/GPL/"free as in beer"-ware. I need a hand
here if anyone wants to chime in.

~={o}=~

Culley Morrow
IT Manager