Yum/RPM install

Gareth list-mailscanner at linguaphone.com
Mon Aug 13 18:14:37 IST 2007

You also have to build rpms for the packages that redhat wont upgrade
aswell. For example I run FC6 but the latest spamassassin available through
yum is 3.1.9 since 3.2 is a new major version.
For situations like this you want to either maintain your own specific rpm
repository or do it via source.
Given the variety of playforms and the age of some of the systems there
would have to be multiple rpm versions to cater for different library
versions that people use for example. With source Julian only needs to worry
about one version and since it is compiled it is optimised for the hardware
it is running on.