Yum/RPM install

Peter Nitschke email at ace.net.au
Mon Aug 13 17:49:51 IST 2007

Which is why I like the concept of doing it all with RPMs.

Most are available on the major repo sites, the handful that aren't I have
let Julian's script create, then made a local repo for them so I can do
repeat installs simply and quickly to other PC's.

I realise this is OS specific, but most of us with multiple servers to
manage have probably standardised on a particular OS, in my case Centos 5.

The MS install script pretty much creates then installs everything as
RPM's, and the recent SA/Clam install script recommends using clam RPM's,
so I figure that going the last step to all RPM's makes good sense.

Julians scripts do a few tweak, eg to SA v3xx.pre files which is easy
enough to duplicate, but would I be missing anything else?

My thoughts are towards lower manual maintenance by being able to do future
upgrades all by RPM, and by being able to create servers with a known
predictable setup which doesn't tend to happen if you configure them all
individually.

Peter