Mailscanner RBL checks

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Aug 9 19:51:10 IST 2007

Mikael Syska spake the following on 8/9/2007 11:43 AM:
> Scott Silva wrote:
>> Vlad Mazek spake the following on 8/9/2007 9:59 AM:
>>
>>> I'm sorry I am just not following; my mailscanner.cf
>>> <http://mailscanner.cf> has only one line:
>>>
>>> dns_available yes
>>>
>>> Yet, it seems to be querying the external RBL's:
>>> SpamAssassin (not cached, score= 16.885, required 5, autolearn=disabled,
>>> FH_RELAY_NODNS 1.25, HELO_EQ_IP_ADDR 1.12, HTML_MESSAGE 0.00,
>>> HTML_OBFUSCATE_05_10 0.57, MIME_HTML_ONLY 1.67, RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET
>>> 2.19, RCVD_IN_PBL 0.51, RDNS_NONE 0.10, URIBL_BLACK 1.96, URIBL_JP_SURBL
>>> 2.86, URIBL_OB_SURBL 2.13, URIBL_SC_SURBL 2.52
>>>
>>> My question is simply where/what is telling SpamAssassin to query all
>>> these RBLs because my MailScanner.cf doesn't list any RBLs to be called
>>> (line is commented out completely)
>>>
>> Spamassassin has several tests it does all by itself that are
>> indepentent of
>> mailscanner. Spamassassin tests rbl's and gives a score that is added
>> together. When you use rbl's in mailscanner they are just flagged as
>> spam if
>> they hit, independent of how reliable a rbl might be.
>>
>> As you were told in the last mail, if you do not want rbl tests in
>> spamassassin, you have to add a line for each one in mailscanner.cf.
>> As an example, if you didn't want to test for RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET
>> you add the following line;
>> score RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET 0
>>
>> Does this clear things up a little more?
>>
> Little off-topic:
> Can't the lookups be completely disabled, so its possible to avoid the
> the DNS query ?
>
> As I understand SA, it will still make the lookup even if the score is 0
> ... or am I wrong here ?
>
> // ouT
AFAIK spamassassin will only do the lookups on rbl's that are enabled.
If you don't want to do any lookups, I think you can set dns_available no in
mailscanner.cf, but that will disable the most reliable spam checks that
spamassassin has.
Do you just want to disable certain rbl's or all of them?

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and