DSN and 4.62.9 problem

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Tue Aug 7 17:31:21 IST 2007

Matt Hampton wrote on Mon, 06 Aug 2007 23:05:11 +0100:

> OoO will never be fixable without straying in to the patented method of
> changing the Message-ID a la

I'd say it's not fixable at all because the OoO reply usually doesn't
quote any header lines.

> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050713-5090.html

Another example of patent trolling. :-(

> There may be a way to fix read receipts but this would require
> maintaining state (which would break the ability to have multiple
> independent servers) or possibly find a way of allowing read receipts.

maintain state? What do you mean by that?
It seems that read receipts *do* contain in-reply-to/references headers,
so you could reuse these. Another method would be to allow read receipts
up to a certain length at all. Would it make sense for spammers to
disguise as read receipts? I'm not sure what most mail clients do with
them, at least mine would just display it.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany