Help with sa-update, SARE and RDJ ---Please

René Berber r.berber at computer.org
Tue Aug 7 05:12:56 IST 2007

Johnny Stork wrote:

> Hey thanks for replying with your suggestions. I think I am getting closer.
>
> 1: I removed the "update_spamassassin" script from /etc/cron.daily
>
> 2: I did another test of /etc/cron.daily/rules_du_jour and noticed that the
> *.cf files went into two locations
>
> /etc/mail/spamassassin & /etc/mail/spamassassin/RulesDuJour
>

> Is this what is supposed to happen? Same files in 2 locations.

Yes, the script first downloads on one place, sees if there are no problems
(running spamassassin --lint), then copies them in place.

> 3: What should I have in sare-sa-update-channels.txt to get ALL SARE rules
> and the standard SA rules? I would rather not have to manage this file with
> removing outdated rules, or adding new rules, just want them all or some sort
> of suggested set, and all the standard SA rules. I could then not even have
> to run rules_du_jour any longer.

Sorry, I don't use that method, as I said before, I use RDJ.

You don't want all the rules, that would make SA very slow, some suggestions are
on the SA list but it really depends on the languages expected, what seems
effective, and so on.  I just started with the minimum recommended (I think it
was recommended inside the rules_du_jour script, but lately it doesn't have a
good recommendation).

> But when I ran this command below....
>
> /usr/bin/sa-update –channelfile
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/sare-sa-update-channels.txt –gpgkey 856AA88A

It's --channelfile .
--
René Berber