4.62.9-1 & MailScanner --lint [FIXED - but why?]

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Aug 2 09:57:41 IST 2007

Quentin Campbell wrote:
> Phil
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Where are your 'main.cvd' and 'daily.cvd' files kept?
>
> A little more research and digging found the problem but I am unclear as
> to how the situation came about. There is now a new maintenance problem
> to be resolved and some worrying questions.
>
> The " LibClamAV Warning: ***  The virus database is older than 7 days.
> ***" message arises because there was a second location containing very
> old (July 26, 2005) copies of main.cvd and daily.cvd under
> /usr/local/share/clamav. In my current installation I keep the '.cvd'
> files under /usr/local/clamav.
>
> If I remove the 'clamav' sub-directory from /usr/local/share or remove
> the two files from under it then 'MailScanner --lint' complains. If I
> copy my current two '.cvd' files from /usr/local/clamav to
> /usr/local/share/clamav then MailScanner --lint works OK.
>
> QUESTIONS:
>
> 1. When was the /usr/local/share/clamv sub-directory created and why?

A long time ago, it's where my sigs have always been.

But only freshclam looks at freshclam.conf.
> 3. Has 'clamavmodule' been using these very old '.cvd' files for virus
> detection?

Probably.
> 4. There is the maintenance issue - how do I keep the
> /usr/local/share/clamav/*.cvd files up to date? ANSWER: I suppose when
> using 'clamavmodule' I should change /usr/local/etc/freshclam.conf and
> replace
>
>   DatabaseDirectory /usr/local/clamav
>
> with
>
>  DatabaseDirectory /usr/local/share/clamav

Yes, I would do that. AFAIAA the DatabaseDirectory has always been
/usr/local/share/clamav.
> Alternately I can make /usr/local/share/clamav a link to
> /usr/local/clamav (or vice versa). What is best?

Correct your DatabaseDirectory.
> Had I missed and important documented step when I swapped from using
> 'clamscan' to using 'clamavmodule'? If so I cannot find it!

I don't think so, no.
> Quentin

>>> "test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t
>>> t/Mail-ClamAV....ok 2/10LibClamAV Warning:
>>> **************************************************
>>> LibClamAV Warning: ***  The virus database is older than 7 days.  ***
>>> LibClamAV Warning: ***        Please update it IMMEDIATELY!       ***
>>> LibClamAV Warning: **************************************************
>>> t/Mail-ClamAV....ok
>>>
>>> All tests successful.
>>> Files=1, Tests=10,  2 wallclock secs ( 1.56 cusr +  0.16 csys =  1.72
>>> CPU)
>>>   /usr/bin/make test -- OK
>>> Running make install
>>> Installing
>>> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/Ma
>>> il/ClamAV/
>>> ClamAV.so
>>> Installing
>>> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/Ma
>>> il/ClamAV/
>>> ClamAV.bs
>>> Files found in blib/arch: installing files in blib/lib into
>>> architecture
>>> dependent library tree
>>> Installing
>>> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/Mail/ClamAV.pm
>>> Installing /usr/share/man/man3/Mail::ClamAV.3pm
>>> Writing
>>> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/Ma
>>> il/ClamAV/
>>> .packlist
>>> Appending installation info to
>>> /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/perllocal.pod
>>>   /usr/bin/make install  -- OK
>>>
>>> cpan>
>>> ------------- cut here
>>>
>>> Quentin