MS Hanging

UxBoD uxbod at splatnix.net
Wed Aug 1 21:27:01 IST 2007

Today, our secondary MX, was hit by a large SPAM storm. The message subject was all the same so I presume a new set of bots was unleashed.

Anyway, I saw the inbound queue jump up to 1000, and MailScanner stop logging anything too /var/log/maillog.  I reloaded MS and it began to process again.  After getting through ~ 250 messages it started building up again.  I checked running processes and all the MS processes were running, but they all said Checking SPAM lists.

My settings are the same on both primary and secondary, the only difference being hardware processing power.

Primary is a dual Opteron 8GB RAM, children set @ 20 with a 100 message batch size and all okay.  Secondary is single P4 with 1GB RAM, children set @ 5 with a 25 message batch size.

Has anybody seen this before?  We have ordered a matching server to replace the secondary but that is on a two week lead time.  Any ideas?

I will run a strace tomorrow if it happens again to see where it is sticking.

Regards,

--[ UxBoD ]--
// PGP Key: "curl -s https://www.splatnix.net/uxbod.asc | gpg --import"
// Fingerprint: C759 8F52 1D17 B3C5 5854  36BD 1FB1 B02F 5DB5 687B
// Keyserver: www.keyserver.net Key-ID: 0x5DB5687B
// Phone: +44 845 869 2749 SIP Phone: uxbod at sip.splatnix.net

believed to be clean.