Disable virus checks for high spam

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 10:34:25 IST 2007

On 27/04/07, Kapetanakis Giannis <bilias at edu.physics.uoc.gr> wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Glenn Steen wrote:
>
> > Eh, not scanning things destined for the quarantine is the default.
> > You need have set "Keep Spam And MCP Archive Clean = yes", or
> > deliver
> > the message somewhere (perhaps a "forward spam-archive at some.whe.re"
> > in
> > "High Scoring Spam Actions") for it to actually scan things...
> > I truly see no problem here, apart from your local configuration...
> > perhaps:-).
> > Then again, I might be wrong:-).
> >
> > Cheers
>
> My config is:
>
> High Scoring Spam Actions = store
> Keep Spam And MCP Archive Clean = no
>
> However I don't seem to understand that last option.
> I have it to 'no' cause "there is small hit in performance", as
> it listed in the conf. By setting it to yes you don't
> put viruses in the quarantine?

Exactly.
Before Jules added that option, you had to forward spam to (an alias
leading to) /dev/null to get an approximation of the functionality
(Then you got the message in both virus and spam quarantine... With
the above setting you just store it once, either in spam _or_ virus
quarantine).

> Users cannot release mails from quarantine.
> I do it through the MailWatch for them.

The "problem" is that you generally might whitelist localhost
(127.0.0.1) to eb able to deliver messages... One can get around that
too (just whitelisting for spam etc etc), but that is why some of us
thought it a good thing to have (a clean quarantine, that is:-).

> So you're telling me that by default
> it does NOT scan messages for viruses
> if I haven't got any deliver/forward rule in actions?

Yes.
That is how it has been for as long as I can remember... I don't
recall any changes to this policy, although I might have missed
it:-):-)... Don't think I did though;-).

Cheers
--
-- Glenn