Fast Dual Core or slower Quad Core..?

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Thu Apr 26 10:21:17 IST 2007

On 04/26/2007 10:59 AM, Paul Hutchings wrote:
> For the Dual Core I'd likely be looking at one of these "as is" plus a
> couple of 10k SAS drives:
>
> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF06b/521-525-358263-358263-12083449-12569852-78138665.html
>
> I'm sure Quad Core is total overkill, and of course the machine is
> twin-socket so can always have a second CPU added.

You maybe think about the raid controller cache to speed up your
write-operations - on a mailserver you will have a lot of :-)

> The thing needs to last three years minimum that's all, hence the query
> as I have no idea of Linux/MailScanner/Clam "roadmaps" assuming
> MailScanner remains the ideal tool for the job.

Usual IT. Planning for 3 years. We always try to plan for 3 - 5 years
and then change machines after 1 or 2 years. :-)

Will the machine only do the incoming/outgoing (smtp), or also the
imap/pop3 stuff? I believe for smtp only it's enough.

-of