Wich POP3 server

Drew Marshall drew at technologytiger.net
Wed Apr 18 08:06:10 IST 2007

On 18 Apr 2007, at 01:03, Res wrote:

> Dovecot is OK, its pretty fast, but buggy, it had 31 or so release
> candicates before 1.0, and a bug was found the same day it was
> released
> (under a week ago), it reminds me of gaim, and how holey that is,
> the only difference is, on dedicated sendmail boxes I will use
> Dovecot (and never touch gaim despite its recent name change to try
> avoid the stigma), as we use squirrelmail and its nice features, if
> you dont need imap, try popa3d, very small, very fast.
>
> If you use Qmail, then use vpopmail, if you want a good webmail
> with it, instlal courier-imap and squirrelmail, useing mysql to
> hold user prefs/address books etc.
>
> If you use postmix and Maildir, who knows, probably Dovecot.

Or indeed any of the above! As you will remember oh Evil Bunny,
Postmix, the flexibility of that 'aged monolithic software' you like
with the performance of that 'patched to death to bring it close to
modern' MTA :-)

Personally, I use maildir with Courier-IMAP, Squirrelmail (For
webmail) and all tied together with MySQL userdb (And managed through
Postfix-Admin, which is nice and simple and you can delegate mailbox
control to 'domain admins', which saves loads of support time when
users want another alias or mailbox set up).

Drew

--
In line with our policy, this message has been scanned
for viruses and dangerous content by the Technology Tiger MailScanner.

Technology Tiger Limited is registered in Scotland with registration number: 310997
Registered Office 55-57 West High Street Inverurie AB51 3QQ