Long gaps?

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Sun Apr 15 01:23:57 IST 2007

Greetings:

A file attachment was blocked recently with the following report:

Report: MailScanner: A long gap in a name is often used to hide part of
it (Amanda Dukehar.pdf)

That seems odd, I wouldn't normally regard one space as a "long gap". I
checked in filename.rules.conf and found this rule:

# Deny filenames with lots of contiguous white space in them.
deny    \s{10,}         Filename contains lots of white
space                                           A long gap in a name is
often used to hide part $

I'm regex-illiterate, but that suggests to me that the intent is to
block anything with a run of ten spaces in it.

Lots of folks use spaces in filenames, and I really don't like the idea
of needing to fish all of them out of quarantine manually. Is there
something wrong with that rule, or do I have to just abandon that test?

Van

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For photography, web design, hosting, and maintenance,
visit Van's home page: http://www.domainvanhorn.com/van/