Feature Request

Dennis Willson taz at taz-mania.com
Thu Apr 12 00:52:10 IST 2007

Hmmmmm... How does scanning the outgoing messages generate an "Alert"?
While it is in fact good to scan outgoing messages, I believe he wants
notification that a client is comprimised or a Spammer, not just
filtering.

Personally I use a different outgoing server with different rule sets
than the MX. You can then set the rules to notify the sender that they
have sent Spam/Virus, etc... and copy the postmaster (you).

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 16:33:27 -0700
  Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
>Jay Chandler spake the following on 4/11/2007 4:11 PM:
>> Recently had a user account become compromised and start spewing
>>spam.
>>
>> Is there any functionality within MailScanner that can alert me once
>>one
>> user sends more than a predefined number of messages in a given time
>> period?  If not, I'd dearly love to see this implemented...
>>
>Yes... scan incoming and outgoing messages!
>This is the precise reason I do this. Scan everything, and allow no
>smtp
>traffic to leave the site except from the MX's.
>The little bit of overhead to scan the traffic is better than the
>blacklisting
>you might get from spewing spam.
>
>--
>
>MailScanner is like deodorant...
>You hope everybody uses it, and
>you notice quickly if they don't!!!!
>
>--
>
>Before posting, read http://wiki.mailscanner.info/posting

Dennis Willson

taz at taz-mania.com
http://www.taz-mania.com

Ham (Extra Class w/code): KA6LSW
GMRS : WQGF680
Scuba: Rescue Diver, EANx, Wreck, Night, Alt,
Equip, UW Photographer, Gas Blender

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a nice looking and well preserved body, but rather
to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"