Thoughts for quicker installation

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Apr 11 17:59:18 IST 2007

Hugo van der Kooij spake the following on 4/11/2007 9:42 AM:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Rob Poe wrote:
>
>> Having several boxes (that are mostly the same config / version /
>> patch level of everything), wouldn't it be possible to install the
>> RPMs that MailScanner rebuilds and tries to install each time -- i.e.
>> copy the RPMS over to the new box and just rpm -Uhv * type of a thing?
>>
>> Some of the boxes are real screamers, and some of them really make one
>> scream (with slowness)..
The beauty of Linux and the BSD's ... Hardware has a much longer useful life.
Maybe out V.P./Treasurer might just get his 10 year depreciation on servers!
Or at least 5 years!

> If you have a bunch of them I would setup a test machine and test your
> own RPM's there. Propably rebuild them for your specific distribution.
>
> After testing you move them to your own repository and let the
> production servers pick up their updates from their.
>
> It would scale pretty much for any number of servers you wish to maintain.
>
> I have a thought of doing this myself for Centos 4 and Centos 5 and
> perhaps make the repositories public. But this may take a few months. I
> have yet to receive my new rackserver.
>
> Hugo.

Just imagine! ... yum install MailScanner... :-)
Happy thoughts!

Then if you could yum install mailwatch, the world could be that much safer again!

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and