Thoughts for quicker installation

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Wed Apr 11 17:42:24 IST 2007

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Rob Poe wrote:

> Having several boxes (that are mostly the same config / version / patch level of everything), wouldn't it be possible to install the RPMs that MailScanner rebuilds and tries to install each time -- i.e. copy the RPMS over to the new box and just rpm -Uhv * type of a thing?
>
> Some of the boxes are real screamers, and some of them really make one scream (with slowness)..

If you have a bunch of them I would setup a test machine and test your own
RPM's there. Propably rebuild them for your specific distribution.

After testing you move them to your own repository and let the production
servers pick up their updates from their.

It would scale pretty much for any number of servers you wish to maintain.

I have a thought of doing this myself for Centos 4 and Centos 5 and
perhaps make the repositories public. But this may take a few months. I
have yet to receive my new rackserver.

Hugo.

 		(Thanks JFK, for the insight.)