MailScanner gateway stats

Paul Baily gen2lists at paulbaily.com
Tue Apr 10 09:29:27 IST 2007

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the delay, got distracted by something shiny. :-)

On 02/04/2007, at 4:23 pm, Michael Mansour wrote:

> Could you explain what you did? did you just continue to use
> Mailgraph? and if so, what did you need to change to get the stats
> you wanted for mailscanner/sendmail?

Yes, continued to use Mailgraph but went through and adjusted the
regexes of strings it was looking for. I have smf-sav installed
(sorry Rick, it's got a really big cache, and I'm definitely taking
what you said on board, honest :-) so some log entries are different
from usual.

What I found really helpful was grabbing the logs of a non-production
MailScanner box that included single (artificial) instances of each
case, then trying various grep strings against that log to pick up
only the actions I was looking for, e.g. good mail site-in, good mail
site-out, bounces, rejects etc. Then I plugged those into the perl
script with the appropriate counter words. I've still some fine-
tuning to do like getting send and receive (from a site context)
properly nailed down, but it's a finite problem. If you like I can
send you a copy of the file as it stands offlist.

cheers,

Paul.