IP address reputation, BorderWare

Rick Chadderdon mailscanner at yeticomputers.com
Thu Apr 5 21:24:15 IST 2007

Res wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Apr 2007, Rick Chadderdon wrote:
>
>> I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and simply assume that
>> my writing style is not clear enough for me to make a point to you.  Our
>
> Rick you've made your point, you dont like  people using it,

That's *not* my point.  That's merely a related fact.  The point I was
trying to make was *why* I don't like it.  And the discussion I was
trying to get from you was philosophical.  I wanted to know whether you
justify all behavior based upon the *amount* of effect it has on others
or upon whether it has any unjustified effect at all.  Whether a
third-party effect is the same as a direct response.  I have repeatedly
stated that if this was the norm, I'd have no problem with it.   It is
not.  It is an add-on tossed into the war on spam which is so easily
circumvented that as soon as it becomes effective for more than a
handful of people, the spammers will respond by *using it as a tool to
make their spam delivery more efficient*.  (Which basically means that
if it was the norm, it would be useless.)

Again, if effectiveness is the measure of justification for anti-spam
tools, then TMDA should be used by everyone, right?  It forces spammers
to use a server that will be there long enough to respond, and if
spammers were to begin using an automatic response system, the same
anti-ocr techniques they use in their image spam could be used to defeat
the spammers by including obfuscated captcha images in the TMDA
challenge message.  If you don't care about the impact on innocent third
parties, challenge-response is a great tool.  The fact that you aren't
sitting here advocating the use of TMDA implies that you do justify the
use of a tool by the amount of collateral damage rather than the fact
that the damage exists at all.  If third-party impact doesn't enter into
your decision not to advocate challenge-response techniques - say you're
going entirely on the impact on speed of delivery - then I'd like to
know.  I want to know *why we disagree*, not just be told "get used to
it 'cause people are going to do it."  Oh, and if you *do* advocate
challenge-response, I'd kind of like to know that, too, 'cause that
would tell me a lot...  :)

I want to understand how other people think, and, sometimes, whether
they think at all.

*That* is my point.

>> If you're being deliberately obtuse for the joy of argument, please
>> don't bother - I don't enjoy that kind of fight, anymore.
>
> No, but you are starting to come accross as one who accuses others of
> not seeing your point or argueing 'for the sake of it' because we will
> not turn around and say its a bad thing because some see it as a good
> thing.

No, I don't expect agreement.  I merely want you to explain how you
justify the use of one third-party invasive tool over another.  I
suspect that it's the degree of impact which you use to make your
decision.  If so, that's fine.  We won't agree, but you will at least
have been honest with me about why you think it's okay.  And I'll know
that you "got my point."  And, to be honest, I'll get to feel morally
superior.  :)  But how I "feel" shouldn't matter to you, since how I
feel about SAV doesn't bother you.

I don't think there's much of a "we" thing going on, Res.  It's just
been you and me for quite a while.  Everyone else pretty much admitted
that they were being pragmatic about the amount of impact they felt the
technique had, versus its effectiveness.  It's seemed to me that *you*
were the one sidestepping the question and "arguing for the sake of
it".  Good to know that it was just a difference of perception.

Anyway, this is (really!) my last response to this thread.  I'll respond
to any further discussion with private email, unless requested otherwise.

Rick